The training team is an essential part of any department. It is considered as the backbone and helps in creating the right workforce. The training team generally has both male and female highly skilled trainers who have been trained and certified by the organizations and have clear difficult hurdles to prove their metal.
While it appears as a glamorous role with all polished manners and demeanors, it is a slightly different world for female and male trainers. Male trainers are considered to be more serious and business-like whereas female trainers are considered as performers if they do not conduct themselves well while training.
Though there are no separate rules to handle training but yes there are certain unsaid rules and methodologies which if followed by a female trainer; results can be magical.
In this topic let’s see what is there in it for female trainers to be well prepared for their effective training programs:
Preparation for Training
It is imperative to prepare well for the training session. Prep work would include:
- Rehearsing the modules and the session plan. Take the extra time to go through the modules and prepare the session well. Remember the trainer knows more than the trainees and should be able to prove that.
- Anticipating all possible questions which can be asked during the session. Ideally do mock sessions with friends or colleagues and ask for feedback.
- To have plans A and B to fall back on. Always have two plans ready; in case of plan, one does not work then immediately move to plan B.
- The training props to be used to be checked and placed in order so that it looks organized. Trainers use a lot of props to make their training interesting. While it is good to use two to three props however maneuvering more props makes it look cumbersome. Projector, Speakers, Flash Pen, White Board, and Markers should all be well checked in advance.
- Parking lot to be introduced and used during the session. Always have a space for the parking lot in the room. It helps in conducting the session without disturbing the rhythm and also gives time to think about questions asked.
- Checking the infrastructure and the seating arrangements beforehand and to have all phone numbers handy in case there is an emergency. Make sure there is enough stationery that will be used during the session.
- The most important preparation includes knowing the people you are going to train. It is advised that a baselining about the trainees should be done basis their experience and qualification. You might have to select a training style as per the group.
How to Conduct Yourself in the training session
Post preparing yourself about the session, plan, and for the audience in terms of knowledge there are points to remember when you start taking a session.
- Wear a dress which is corporate formal and suits your body type. Chose something which you are comfortable in and covers your arms and neck completely. Avoid skirts and opt for trousers and tops with coats to team up with.
- Light colors are preferred while training and white are agreed upon and accepted for the profession by all. Red color or neon colors should never be used. The attention of the group should be on what you are training them on and not on you. Bright colors attract attention to clothes.
- Minimal is the keyword while selecting accessories to go along with the dress. Small earrings, a delicate ring, and a leek chain should be all. Watches definitely add to your style quotient. Big hanging earrings, flashy figure rings, anklets, or any accessory which makes noise or stands out is a big no.
- Tie your hair neatly or style them in a way wherein you don’t have to crease them again and again while taking session. If you have to take care of your hair while conducting the training audience will be more interested in looking at how you put the hair strands back in place. As a golden rule, hair should be neatly tied in a bun or a ponytail. If left loss should be well-styled.
- Natural makeup makes you look professional and serious about the job. Again, keep it minimal or apply it in a way wherein it doesn’t appear to be overdone.
- Comfortable shoes are the key to your dressing. Most of the trainers have to stand most of the tie conducting training. If the shoes are not comfortable then it would result in leg pain, shoe bite, and stressed legs. Having said that flats are not appreciated while conducting face to face training. Look out for comfortable heels and practice walking with them before they are finally worn for the training session.
You Mean Business
- You need to appear friendly but a clear message should be given to the group that you are there for some serious work and mean business.
- Use a professional smile to greet people and use the utmost sophistication to set the right impression.
- Stick to the lesson plan and do not deviate from it. The parking lot here helps in sticking to the plan and avoids unnecessary questions and discussions during the session.
- Before ending the session ensure you answer all questions or confirm they have been answered during the session. If there is something you need to come back with, please ensure that you do answer that the next day.
- Do not encourage personal talks and do not entertain them. Restrict your conversations around work and performance.
- Do add humor to the session to ease out a bit but ensure that the class control does not take a setback.
Body Language and movement during class:
- Exhibit positive body language. Use open hand gestures and do not point out anyone while asking questions.
- Do not refer to anyone as “the one in a blue shirt or pink dress” rather get name tents made on the first day.
- Do not take a marker and rotate it in the air while speaking like ‘Don Quixote’.
- Do not cross the projector beam as it will make the word appear on your body and would attract unwanted attention.
- Stand at a comfortable position from where you can see the entire class and address them and say ‘I appreciate and encourage participation’.
- Do not act like a teacher as Adult Learning Life Principles are different. Walk the aisle to have better connections with the audience.
Besides this it is good to record sessions and see what went right and what went wrong. Always ask for feedback and take it seriously.
Work on the opportunity areas and strengthen the good points. Becoming a great trainer is a journey and miles to go. With dedication and the correct approach, it can be achieved.